Thursday, October 7, 2010

Test Panel Underpainting



This is the test panel after a little more progress on the underpainting. I softened many of the lines from the initial burnt umber draw-in, feeling they were too definite to allow for much sfumato type modeling to happen over them. On the hero panel, I've decided to modify this approach and do my initial block in with pale gray washes, then selecting which areas to sharpen with an umber line and a fine brush. I'll add a richer ocher wash over this entire panel, I think, and build shadows from there. In the intermediate steps, I'll lay in opaque colors in some areas and finish them by modeling glazes over the top to bring out depth and form.

Of course, a certain amount of this is speculation, and I'll make appropriate adjustments as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment